Friday, August 10, 2012

Becoming of Age Draft


I’m walking down unfamiliar but beautiful territory with my out-of-the-box shoes, and new bag. I can’t help but clutch dearly unto the blue material that hangs close to me. I try to stride coolly tilting my head up hoping that people don’t look at me funny. I scold myself, “I can do it! Calm down, its only your first day.” Indeed it is, but I can’t help but feel anxious, anticipating the next classes where I’ll meet the people that will be with me throughout my high school career. An irritating ring fills the crisp summer air reminding me how at this time, I could be sleeping. Before I could take a look at my schedule the sound of hundreds of student’s footsteps resound. I make my way quickly on the side so that I don’t embarrassingly block the way. I find out my classroom and I stride, stride.
I open the door and air-conditioned air brushes my face. I see a couple of people in their seats, no one close to each other conversing. I slowly walk over to an empty table and I see a short Japanese lady smiling at me. I smile back greeting her nervously— she’s probably my CAP teacher. I take a good look at the people in the room, like everyone else they’re just sitting there. Thinking. Maybe they were thinking about if they were going to make friends. Wait, they probably have friends and I’m the only one who’s talking to myself like this. I take out my schedule trying to look busy.  I never really had to make friends all my life, until this day. I grew up with the same people and everyone was friendly. Social skills: I have them but being in a new environment and new people, I get self aware of how I speak and how I look.
“Class! Welcome to your CAP class you’ll be having this class for your four years in high school…” My mind drifts, “Four years, I wonder if there’s anyone here who I’ll end up hanging with. That’s if I’m not scared to start a conversation.” The teacher interrupts my thoughts, “Okay, we’re going to head to the gym where we’re going to have an assembly with the sophomores.” 
As I walk into the gym with my class, there are tons of people. I squirm my way unto the bleachers people left and right bumping me and conversation is all I hear. I sit in the minimal ventilated room and listen to my thoughts. I have to start a conversation. I look to the right to me and there’s a girl next to me, I remember she’s my CAP. She was on her phone or something. I have to do something that I’ve never done before. “Just say hi, my goodness.” But all at once all my thoughts and fears come down on me. What if she thinks I’m weird? What if I can’t carry on the conversation? What if there’s something on my face? I wipe my face. “Just do it Adara, no big deal. You’ll regret it if you don’t”. “Hi, you’re in my CAP right? I’m Adara.” The girl stares at me blankly, and then turns into a smile. “Hey! I’m Alex.” I finally did it! “Cool.” …Now what? “So, what school did you come from?” I think quickly. Very smart, she probably went to Salt Lake. “Actually I’m from Aiea and I went to Aliamanu.” “So how’d you get your G.E.?” I ask eagerly. I was actually getting somewhere. “I’m in this thing called meneMAC.” A light bulb lights up. I start to get excited. “Really?! Me too!” And the rest was history.
From this event on forward I started to develop into a different and better kind of person. I started to slowly become comfortable and confident with myself. I can introduce and talk to new people. I came a more independent person because I was alone. I learned that if you put away your doubts and worries and go for the things you want, you will far. 

5 comments:

  1. ADARA!

    I really like the use of sensory detail you have, throughout the whole essay! I also liked how you described your environment & the ambience around you such as how you described how the students footsteps were, how the gym felt when you first walked in, and soforth. I also enjoyed how you included alot of dialouge, it added alot into your essay.

    I do think, though, that you should continue talking about how you benefited from this experience and how it made you into the person you are today. Reading your last paragraph, I kind of expected to read more about how you grew as a person - socially and mentally. I think you should explain how you grew to become independent, the steps you took to stepping out of your comfort zone and introducing yourself, and how you became confident with yourself.

    But other than that, I really liked your essay! & I liked how I could relate to you because we both didn't come from Moanalua & we didn't even know where the heck we were going or what the heck we were supposed to do on our first day. Hahahaha.

    Good job!

    - Maurice Berbano

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maurice! Thanks, that was really good advice (: but yes I'll make sure I edit those specific parts. I wasnt motivated to explain more. Hahaha.

      Adara (:

      Delete
  2. Heeeey Sis!

    I liked how you were very specific in detail to detail of how your day went from the beginning to the end. You really put in effort and thoughts into this essay. Also, your dialog and sensory details went very well throughout the entire essay, Very good job. It's funny how you described Alex and you're conversation because I could just imagine it as a reader and knowing how both of you are. You both had a connection that either one of you don't know anyone because of school wise and all. I'm Glad that you pushed yourself into starting off that conversation with her, because it made you realize that as days pass and you don't start now then you wouldn't have friends at all. By doing that made you step out into your comfort zone, and now you have many friends and shows that you've matured.

    Okay, so although I thought you did very well in this essay I feel that you should add more details about how your becoming of age within this situation, because I know you became comfortable and confident with yourself. You should add more because you have a lot of sensory details, but I would want to know more about how you are now and your feelings as well. Also, maybe just reread it and check over anything and always be confident and independent, continue that moment and you'll be fine.

    All in all you've did really well in this assignment and I hope that you have a great sophomore year! & keep up your good work! Very good Job!

    ~Kaitlyn Dacoscos (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for the feedback Kaitlyn! I think this really will help me as well with my final draft! Lots of good advice. Can't wait to read yours!

      -Adara (:

      Delete
  3. Very good detail in your story description. However, again you shouldn't wait till the ver last paragraph which is only a few sentences to state how this event changed you. You can start from the beginning stating how you used to be in middle school and what the first couple days of high school did to you. Also, try to avoid using very broad and general characteristics including "different and better kind of person". Good luck!

    ReplyDelete